They stole the concept of rugby league and called it football. And with shameless audacity, they call the real football – “soccer”.
1. A spherical object or entity: a steel ball.
2. A spherical or almost spherical body: a ball of flame.
1. Any of various rounded, movable objects used in various athletic activities and games.
2. Such an object moving, thrown, hit, or kicked in a particular manner: a low ball; a fair ball.
3. A game, especially baseball or basketball, played with such an object.
4. A pitched baseball that does not pass through the strike zone and is not swung at by the batter.
1. A solid spherical or pointed projectile, such as one shot from a cannon.
2. Projectiles of this kind considered as a group.
4. A rounded part or protuberance, especially of the body: the ball of the foot.
Bottom line, ball = round. If something is oval or ovoid, call it oval or ovoid, not a ball.
The greatest ever game the whole world (except the USA) knows as “football” to be belittled by Americans – how disgraceful it sounds to be looked down upon!
Just my assumption: Why that American Handball is so popular in America?
Because they can televise “commercials” so frequently. And for the same reason football is not be popular in America, they will have to wait for “45 minutes” for a commercial break.